Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Practical Tip: Setting the date

The purpose of this blog is not to talk about my wedding specifically, but I want to share some thoughts I have about how we set our wedding date and the effect it had on our WPP.  We got engaged in May 2011, and are getting married in April 2012.  We chose the month purely on personal preference (April isn't too hot, isn't too cold, and gave us an 11 month engagement, which seemed right for us, see below for more about that), but it turned out there were a ton of unexpected benefits that we didn't anticipate.  If you haven't yet set your date, I urge you to consider the following.

Prices
Since we're not getting married in prime wedding months, there are three words we grew to love.  off season discount.  We were able to negotiate on the contract with the venue, and found that prices were generally lower for off season months.  From what I've seen an off season wedding can save you 5-10% off the total cost of your wedding.

Availability
This was a HUGE deal for us.  Let's just say we're not exactly on the ball when it comes to booking our vendors and planning decor for the wedding.  Let's be honest, we fell off the ball months ago.  Compared to other engaged couples we are way behind in planning (Side Practical Tip: It's rarely helpful to compare your WPP with other engaged couples).  Most people had everything set months before the wedding.  But here we are, less than two months to go, with vendors yet to book.  And you know what?  So far it's worked out fine for us because we're not getting married in a super desirable month.  We were able to book a DJ three months before with no problem, and we've rarely, if ever, encountered a vendor that didn't have an availability on our date.  It is wonderful to not have to stress about finding a vendor ASAP and not being worried that they will get booked up before you can sign a contract.  I can't stress enough how this has helped us stay relatively zen-like.

Length of engagement
When I started college, I tried to be as diligent as possible in finishing assignments.  I would start on them as soon as they were assigned with plans to finish them early and then be able to relax as the due-date approached.  What would happen instead is that I would work all week, and still end up working until the last minute.  By senior year I got wise and waited until the last minute to even start.  I found I was able to finish assignments on time with the same quality as before!  Wow, why did it take me so long for me to learn this?!  It was then when I learned first hand that it's true: Work expands to the amount of time allotted to it.
If we had a 2 year engagement, it would take us 24 months to plan our wedding for sure.  That's 24 months of interviewing vendors, choosing decorations, and researching flowers.  That's way too long for me!  11 months of this shenanigans is plenty for me, thank you!

So there ya go, how a largely uninformed decision turned out to be exactly perfect for us and helped us on the road to Zen Wedding Planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment